Birth Injury Attorney in Birmingham
Three babies are being born with birth injuries every hour in the U.S. Nearly half of all birth injuries that occur could potentially be avoided by identifying and planning for possible dangers, according to the Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP). Birth injuries are defined as any injury caused by trauma during the birthing process that leads to long term medical complications, disability, developmental problems, or death.
If you or a loved one has a child you believe wrongfully suffered a birth injury or if you were harmed while pregnant or during labor, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact the team at Ifediba Law Group, P.C. today to speak with one of our experienced birth injury lawyers and learn more about your rights and legal options. Call (205) 933-1515 and schedule a free consultation or fill out our online contact form.
Why Choose Us
- Your case will be directly handled by one of our attorneys from start to finish, instead of a paralegal or other legal assistant. We can promise this by only taking a select number of cases. That way, your case can get the attention it truly deserves.
- We have consistently achieved positive results, satisfying clients for more than 20 years.
- We commit ourselves to exceeding our clients’ expectations and will create effective solutions and strategies to produce a favorable outcome for your case.
- Our firm is dedicated to outstanding communication with our clients, answering calls and emails promptly.
Leading Causes of Birth Injuries
The following are the leading causes of birth injury due to medical negligence:
- Failure to detect or respond quickly to fetal distress.
- The improper use of assisted birthing instruments, such as excessive pulling with vacuum extractors or forceps.
- Failure to plan for or perform a cesarean section in a timely manner.
- Inability to resuscitate a child properly after birth.
- Medical staff that isn’t properly trained on how to use equipment or perform job functions.
- Failure to diagnose and treat a maternal infection.
Common Types of Birth Injuries
Some of the most common types of injuries resulting from medical negligence during childbirth are:
A disorder that affects the brain and causes motor deficiency, can be caused by birth asphyxia, trauma, and infection.
Deprivation of oxygen that lasts long enough during the birth process to cause brain damage.
Affects the nerves within the neck that control the motions of the arm. It can occur during delivery if a baby’s neck is stretched unnaturally as the head and shoulders pass through the birth canal.
The swelling of the soft tissues in a baby’s scalp. More commonly occurs with the use of vacuum extraction.
Bleeding that occurs under a cranial bone.
Clavicle or collarbone fractures commonly occur in babies who are born breech or whose deliveries involved shoulder dystocia.
Damage to any part of the spinal cord or nerves. Caused by blunt force trauma from the obstetrician’s hands, forceps, or vacuum. Can also occur due to excessive traction or abnormal birthing positions.
Paralysis or weakness on one side of the face. The cause is often unknown.
A type of brain injury, often resulting from an infant being deprived of oxygen during childbirth.
How the Ifediba Law Group, P.C. Can Help
Birth injury lawsuits are incredibly complex. The birth injury lawyers of Ifediba Law Group, P.C., have more than 20 years of experience practicing law and collaborating with skilled professionals to build strong cases on our clients’ behalf. The birth of a newborn should be a joyous event, not a tragic ordeal. If you or your child has suffered an injury during the birthing process, you deserve compensation for your losses. Contact us today for a free consultation to discuss your legal options.