Birmingham Sports Injuries Lawyer
Why Choose Us?
- We can take care of all matters related to your case, from disability claims to health insurance delays.
- We strive to keep the lines of communication open and will make every effort to make you feel comfortable and informed at every stage of your case.
- When you call, you will actually speak directly with a lawyer, not just an assistant.
- We have more than 20 years of experience successfully attaining considerable settlements and verdicts for clients.
Common Serious Sports Injuries
A torn anterior cruciate ligament in the knee. This injury takes around eight to 10 months to recover from and typically requires surgery.
Severe concussions are a common risk for athletes, especially football players. Those injured may experience a loss of vision, memory issues, motor function problems, and long-term effects like the brain condition CTE. Recovery time varies on a case by case basis.
TORN ULNAR COLLATERAL LIGAMENT
Tear of the Ulnar Collateral Ligament in the elbow, typically due to overuse. An injury that is very common for baseball pitchers to suffer from. Surgery is usually needed and recovery time can be anywhere from 12 to 18 months.
One of the most serious injuries an athlete can suffer is a fractured vertebrae. Fractured vertebrae can affect mobility as well as potentially cause paralysis. Recovery is on a case by case basis, but this injury can keep an athlete from playing their sport ever again.
The Assumption of Risk
The assumption of risk doctrine states that voluntarily sports participants cannot hold others liable for their injuries that occurred during the game. When participating, you voluntarily assume the risk of being injured by the other players.
There are exceptions to this doctrine, as athletes are only assuming the risk of injuries that can realistically be expected to arise by participating in a sport.
Exceptions to the Assumption of Risk Doctrine
A player who causes injury due to negligence may be liable for damages. Negligence requires a plaintiff prove that a breach in the duty of care by the defendant caused the injury. (Player who fails to follow the safety rules).
WANTON OR WILLFUL DISREGARD
If a defendant intentionally caused harm by acting wantonly or with willful disregard, they may be liable for injuries. (Player starts a fistfight during a football game).
Damages You Can Recover
The damages you may be able to recover in a sports injury lawsuit are:
- Medical and hospital bills
- Ongoing and future medical care
- Costs of modifying a home to adapt to an injury
- Present and future lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Contact Us Today
If you were injured in any sport because of the irresponsible or careless actions of another person, speak to a skilled sports injuries lawyer with Ifediba Law Group, P.C. today. We dedicate ourselves to building the strongest case possible in order to obtain the best possible outcome. Call or fill out our online contact form for a free case evaluation.
YOU WON’T PAY US ANYTHING UNTIL WE’VE WON YOUR CASE